Ceciel Rooker joined IFFGD in July 2017, bringing with her to the organization over a decade of experience in the field of functional gastrointestinal and motility disorders (FGIMDs). She has worked extensively with patients and their families as well as health professionals to improve FGIMD education and patient care.
Ceciel has taken part in advocacy efforts in the US, meeting with policy makers on Capitol Hill and providing testimony to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on behalf of the millions of Americans affected by a FGIMD. She has traveled internationally to encourage patient and professional education and advance research into these conditions.
Professional Societies and Appointments
- Ms. Rooker provides the patient voice by serving on many professional societies. Her roles include:
- Council Member (Ad-Hoc), NIH National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) Advisory Council; 2020 – Present
- Working Group Member, NIH National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) Strategic Plan Committee; 2019-Present
- Digestive Disease National Coalition (DDNC)
- Nominating Committee; 2020 – Present
- Member-at-large, DDNC Executive Committee; 2018 – Present
- Member; 2017- Present
- Member, American Gastroenterological Association; 2019-Present
- Member, Patient Reported Outcomes (PRO) Consortium, IBS Working Group, Critical Path Institute; 2018-Present
- Member, American Society of Association Executives; 2018-Present
- Member, American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society; 2017–Present
- Advisor, Fecal Incontinence in Primary Care Consortium; 2017–Present
- Mediaplanet, Rooker C. Five Signs It’s More Than Acid Reflux or Heartburn. Future of Personal Health, Digestive Health and Wellness. https://www.futureofpersonalhealth.com/digestive-wellness/5-signs-its-more-than-acid-reflux-or-heartburn/
- Drossman DA, Morris CB, Davis CE, Weinland SR, Aderoju AO, Kulkani-Kelapure RR, Hu YB, Houpe ME, Zimmerman Y, Rooker C, Bangdiwala SI. Narcotic Bowel Syndrome: Characterization of 30 patients and preliminary results after detoxification. Gastroenterol, 140(5), Suppl 1: S-465, 2011.
- Drossman DA, Morris CB, Wrennall CED, Weinland SR, Aderoju AO, Kulkarni-Kelapure RR, Hu YJ, Dalton C, Bouma MH, Zimmerman J, Rooker C, Leserman J, Bangdiwala SI. Diagnosis, Characterization, and 3 Month Outcome of 39 Patients with Narcotic Bowel Syndrome. AM J GASTRO, Advance Online Publication June 19, 2012. http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ajg2012142a.html