IFFGD’s 2021 Advocacy Event on the Hill
For the millions of Americans living with the debilitating and sometimes life-threatening symptoms of a functional gastrointestinal or motility disorder, the fight for awareness, research into safe and effective treatments, and cures are ongoing. And nowhere is that fight more important than on Capitol Hill.
Register now for IFFGD’s 2021 Virtual Advocacy Event.
Advocate for Digestive Health
Connect with your US House Representative to educate him or her about functional gastrointestinal and motility disorders and ask them to take action on issues critical to this community, such as introducing the Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act
Be a voice for all those affected by FGIMDs – call your legislators and ask them to support FGIMDs. Not sure who your member of Congress is? Call the Capitol Hill switchboard at (202) 224-3121, and ask to be connected to your Representative’s office.
Reach out through an email to your elected officials about FGIMDs. Identify and find your elected officials and their emails by visiting www.house.gov for the US House of Representatives (or www.senate.gov for the US Senate) and entering your zip code in the box at the right corner.
Tips on What to Say
- If calling, ask to speak with the staff member responsible for health issues. You can leave a voicemail if they are unavailable.
- Be respectful.
- Tell them that you are a constituent.
- Ask your member of Congress to support patients affected by a functional GI or motility disorder, or specify a bill they can support.
- Explain why this is important to you.
- Provide your contact information and ask to be informed about the actions your member of Congress takes in response to your request.
- Learn more about the Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act, a key issue for digestive health.
Host a Fundraiser
By starting a fundraiser, you give your friends and family an easy way to support something that is important to you. Create your own fundraising webpage and send the link to your contacts, letting them know you’re raising money to fund research for functional GI and motility disorders and to support those affected by them.
This is a simple way to let your friends do something for you.
Raise Awareness for Digestive Health
Public awareness is critical to advance research and improve care for people affected by FGIMDs. The more we spread the word and talk openly about these conditions, the greater our ability to make connections with people who can benefit from our support and raise the funds needed to provide it.
A higher profile can translate into larger federal investments in research activities and a stronger commitment from industry to develop new treatment options. By speaking out with us, you can have an impact on improving the quality of life for those suffering with digestive diseases.