You can Take Action for Digestive Health
The Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act of 2017 (HR 1187) was reintroduced in the US House of Representatives, in the 115th Congress, by Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner (WI-5).
This landmark legislation needs your action to obtain Congressional support.
Contact your House Member.
You can identify and find the contact information for your Representative by going to www.house.gov. Simply enter your zip code in the top right corner of the page.
Call or send an email. Identify yourself as a constituent. Provide your name and address – City, state, zip.
Ask your representative to cosponsor HR 1187, the budget-neutral Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act of 2017.
Read the text of the bill: H.R. 1187 - Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act of 2017
Six Tips for Talking by Phone to your Congressional Office
- Identify yourself as a constituent and ask to speak with the healthcare staffer for your Representative. If they are unavailable, you can leave a voicemail or leave your contact information with the staff member who answered the phone.
- Ask that your Member of Congress become a cosponsor of HR 1187, The Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act of 2017.
- Provide a short explanation of functional GI and motility disorders. Refer to the Quick Facts above.
- Briefly share your personal story of how one of these disorders has affected your life, or that of someone you know.
- Explain that HR 1187 will significantly improve our scientific understanding of functional GI and motility disorders and improve diagnosis and treatments.
- Thank the staff member for their time and attention.
Give the aide your contact information and ask to be informed about the actions of your Representative on this key issue.
Finally, to help with tracking our progress, we'd appreciate it if you would contact us to let us know that you contacted your Member of Congress in support of HR 1187, and let us know the name of your Representative. (We will keep your name and contact information confidential.) Our goal is to continue to work with Representatives to advance this critical legislation in Congress on behalf of the digestive health community.