As we work together to raise awareness for digestive disorders, it is important that we consistent in our messaging.
If you find yourself in front of an audience of 50, 500, or even just one person talking about these conditions and the need for additional research to better understand and treat them—here are a few things to make sure you work into the conversation—including inviting them to join us!
- Functional gastrointestinal and motility disorders affect 1 in 4 people, impacting millions of all ages, genders and ethnicities. (Or to talk about your personal story, you can say “I have NAME OF DISORDER, one of a group of digestive disorders that affect 1 in 4 people.”)
- Many gastrointestinal diseases are chronic and some can be fatal. When parts of the digestive tract are malfunctioning, it can cause ongoing pain and distress for those affected. These disorders are a tremendous burden for those plagued with symptoms and their families, as well as our healthcare system.
- Very little is understood about chronic gastrointestinal disorders and there are no cures. More research is vital to develop treatment options to improve the quality of life for those affected by the diseases.
- More than 80% of funds raised in support of the mission of IFFGD go toward research and education for gastrointestinal illnesses.
- Please join IFFGD—there strength is in numbers and together we can help to advance science, improve patient care, and end the suffering caused by functional gastrointestinal and motility disorders.